What a pain... need to edit a Microsoft Word 2007 form that was originally created by an individual who is no longer employed at my company. I can use Word but am a long way from being any kind of expert. So googled by questions and found I should save the dot document as a docx. Did that but could not edit because it was protected. Googled how to remove protection and came accross https://community.sgdotnet.org/blogs/kitkai/archive/2007/08/20/Remove-Document-Protection-against-Edit-in-Word-2007.aspx with the following that worked great:
- Rename the document to zip format
- Open it up in my favorite zip program
- Edit settings.xml in Notepad
- Look for "protection" in the xml file, and you will locate <w:documentProtection> element.
- Remove all the attributes in it.
- Update the zip file
- Rename the document back to docx
- Open it up in Word 2007, and you are able to edit the document...
Now I can edit .